It’s National Lipstick Day! Can you believe it? This actually exists? I mean, I guess everything has a day now, but for me, this is obviously a reason to celebrate. I feel like we should also all get the day off to take field trips to Sephora to stock up on our favorites, don’t you?
Alas, today is just a normal work day, but that doesn’t mean I’m not rockin’ my favorite shade.
And since it’s a day of recognition, which means we should celebrate in some fashion, I’m going to sing praises for my five fave lipsticks. These are the ones that have gotten me through good times and bad, and no matter the day, the time, the occasion…they’re my go-tos. My ladies. My bevvy of beauties.
Here we go.
5. Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Frutti: perfect peach shimmer for those days when you want a little bit of color but can’t be bothered with the upkeep. It’s also so moisturizing given that it’s kind of a lip balm and a lipstick in one. There are a million colors to choose from, but Tutti Frutti’s orangey-peach shade works best for my fair skin.
4. Boots No 7 Sheer Lipstick in Attract: this was SUCH a random find years ago when Target first started selling Boots products, but it has stood the test of time. It’s crazy cheap (but not too cheap that you question quality) and for my lips, it’s the perfect neutral shade. High marks all around for this British transplant.
3. Nars Lipstick in Dolce Vita: this is the one lipstick I’ve bought more than any others combined. It’s my ‘My Lips But Better’ shade and I wear it almost every day. It works with any skintone and it’s just the best, best, best neutral shade. Nars formulation is also super moisturizing and has staying power, and it’s one of the best in my mind in terms of price-value relationship.
2. Tom Ford Lipstick in Wild Ginger: god, I love this lipstick. It’s so chic and so beautiful and I just feel pretty when I wear it. Tom Ford really knows his way around a lipstick; I have really never worn anything with better coverage, depth of color, and feel than this lipstick. The only reason it’s not my number one is the price tag — $50 is steep for a lipstick, and while you certainly get what you pay for with this ones, I definitely save it for special occasions knowing that replacing this on a regular basis can get pricey.
1. Nars Lipstick in Schiap: sigh. For me, this is the lipstick to end all lipsticks. It’s the perfect shade of bright pink for me, and I wear it anywhere and everywhere (to work, to dinner, to the grocery store, to lounge in my apartment eating bon bons). It’s the one lipstick I’d take with me if I was stranded on a desert island, and it’s my go-to if I’m having a bad day and just need to put a little pep in my step. Love it, love it, love it.
Honorable Mention — Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey: this one’s iconic, period, the end. It’s been around for ages, it somehow magically looks great on everyone, and for a higher end brand, its price is very nice. If you want a neutral-ish option that works for any occasion and won’t break the bank, this is your ticket.
What about you? What are your favorite lipsticks? Let’s celebrate those shades, ladies!